by Reem Rahman
The following is a list of some of the favorite Apple applications used by virtualmosque.com authors as tools to help fill our lives with the light, love, and guidance of Allah (God), Islam, and the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ. Like never before, the Apple iPhone, iPod, iPad and other devices allow for volumes of sacred Islamic texts and teachings and to be accessible within the palm of our hand. They place gems at our fingertips, whether they are the noblest of adkhar (remembrances) and du`a’ (supplication), quotes from the premier scholars in Islamic history, or extraordinary tools for understanding Arabic and the Qur’an.
What remains to be seen with these and other modern resources is whether we have the strength to open our hearts, organize our time, and discipline our minds enough to derive benefit from them. It is for us to ensure that the resources don’t just leave us like the people of Prophet Nuh `alayhi sallatu wa sallam (may Allah send his peace and blessings on them), left behind in the flood of the times – for us the flood of instant distractions that increasingly surrounds us.
As is said in the beautiful, oft-cited du`a’:
يَا مُقَلِّبَ الْقُلُوبِ ثَبِّتْ قَلْبِى عَلَى دِينِكَ
Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, Thabbit Qalbi Ala Deenik
“Oh Turner of Hearts, keep my heart firm on Your Deen.”
Note that by no means is this list intended to be comprehensive. The descriptions after each item provide brief highlights with links leading to the full description of features.
Tell us what you think of these or what your other favorite apps are!
- iAzkar [Free] – In Arabic only; has common recommended remembrances for each part of the day
- Divine Names [Full – $1.99, Lite with 10 names – Free] – Beautiful recitation & presentation to help memorize 99 names of our Creator
- Maktoob Dictionary [Free] – Large Arabic/English dictionary
- iHadith [40 hadiths – Free, others from $3.99-$6.99 each] – offers 5 different complete collections
- Daily Hadith [Free] – One hadith, along with an explanation, downloads daily (Internet connection needed)
- Hadith Qudsi [Free]
- Fortification of the Muslim [$1.99] – One of the most popular du’a’ books in the world for just $1.99! You can also search for du’as by topic
- QDu’aas [Full – $2.99, Lite with 3 du’as – Free] – Has over 40 du’as found in the Quran
- Fiqh Us-Sunnah [$2.99] – Complete compilation of the English translation of the book Fiqh-us-Sunnah by Sayyid Saabiq
- alQuran [Free] – Has an Arabic search engine too, can access over a 100 translations in more than 30 different languages
- Al-Mus’haf – [Free] – Actually mirrors the Madinah mushaf commonly used for memorization exactly! Many other great features as well (see site). can be difficult to navigate.
- myQuran [Full – $7.99, Lite with 5 surahs – Free] – Breaks words down to their roots and root meaning! Great letter pronunciation (makharij) guide even on the free version. Has the Saheeh International translation too; a bit pricey but truly worth it!
- Quran Reader [$2.99] – Allows the Quran to be read in all-Arabic or all-English. Arabic is in beautiful, HD Othmani text. Includes full text search in Arabic or English
- iPray [Full – $3.99, Lite features are quite sufficient – Free]
- QamarDeen [Free] – Tracks and give stats & charts on your prayer, fasting, & more!
- Zabihah – [Free] – Guide to Halal Restaurants & Mosques
- Islamic Calendar [Free]
- Islamic Media [$0.99] – Aggregates quality listening content to stream
- Keys to Paradise [Free] – Simple ways to help pave your path to Jannah
- Torch Bearers: Scholars of Islam [Free] – Motivational quotes from 48+ of the Ummah’s greatest scholars
May we benefit from these resources and be a people that brings benefit to others, a people that helps uplift all of humanity.