On February 8, 2010, in the immediate the aftermath of Operation Cast Lead where more than 1,400 Gazans were massacred, 11 students were arrested after peacefully protesting Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren’s speech at the University of California, Irvine. Ten of the 11 students are currently facing a criminal trial, which ends with closing arguments this Monday, September 19th. If these brothers were guilty of anything, it was that they stood for justice and spoke truth to power. They stood up, one by one, and declared statements such as: “Propagating murder is not an expression of free speech,” and “You, sir, are a war criminal.” These students could face up to 6 months to 1 year in jail for each misdemeanor against them.
Sometimes Allah allows us to witness events in our life that are intended to truly shake us, wake us up and inspire us. They act as signs from Allah (subhanahu wa ta`la – Exalted is He). I truly feel what has happened with the Irvine 11 is one of those events. Wa Allahu a`lam (and Allah knows best).
Tomorrow will be the closing statements in the Irvine 11 trial. It is up to each and every one of us to stand with Truth. The following suggestions have been made about how we can respond. Please post on your facebook, twitter, and spread the word widely. See below:
- Fasting: It’s Monday and it’s sunnah to fast! Imagine if everyone in solidarity fasts!
- Give charity and make du`a’ (supplication): Imagine if everyone in solidarity gives $10 charity to Palestine!
- Pray 4 rak`at (units of prayer) in the morning: “Son of Adam pray 4 rak’at for me in the begining of the day, I will suffice you till the end of it”
- Be in du`a’ and thikr (remembrance) during the hearings: May Allah open the heart of the Jury/Judge to see the truth and May Allah make us steadfast.
- The `Ibadat of Kifaya (extra forms of worship): Praying 4 rak`at in the beging of the day, the athkar of the morning, the thikr before leaving the house, etc.
If you cannot be present physically, be sure to be present and connected spiritually. The trial on Monday starts at 9:00am PST so wherever you are, please take time out around 9:00 am to pray and make du`a’ for the case, while knowing that your du`a’ could have a greater effect than the lawyer’s arguments!
Oh Allah, You have said, “O you who believe! if you help (the cause of) Allah, He will help you and make firm your feet” (47:7). Oh Allah, so help the Irvine 11 today and make their feet firm. Whoever You aid, none can overpower. Whoever You overpower, none can aid. You are the Living who does not die. We ask You. We seek Your help and we put our full trust in You. Ameen ya Rabb al `alameen (the Lord of the Worlds).
For more information about the case, please read VirtualMosque.com’s previous article about the Irvine 11.